Save Water and Money for Your Home
Water is one of our most valuable resources. Can you imagine a world with no water? Although we have plenty of water in this world, the amount available for drinking is limited. The burgeoning global water crisis has increased the need to develop, collect, purify, and store rainwater. In regions with an arid climate like New Mexico, harvesting rainwater can show real benefits not only to the environment but also to your bank account. Rainwater harvesting is not only practical but an absolute necessity.
There are countless ways to utilize rainwater once stored for irrigation, fountains, animals, and human household uses. The rain barrel and water storage tanks typically capture and use rainfall water, holding 50 to 200 gallons per barrel and 500 to 2,500 gallons per water tank.
Why should you start rainwater harvesting?
Rainwater harvesting can bring significant economic, social, and environmental gains and benefits.
Below are just a few reasons and causes why people choose to use rainwater tanks– and the advantages this choice brings.
Water Conservation: rainwater harvesting offers an alternative water source to healthy water supplies. About 40 to 60 % of all household water goes into landscape irrigation and other outdoor pursuits.
Energy Savings: since rainwater harvesting avoids the centralized in-house water tank, it conserves energy. Many household systems need only a tiny pump to create water pressure in the pipes.
Lessens Personal Water Bills: rainwater mainly comes to use in landscaping, bathrooms, and washing laundry. With further filtration and treatment, it can be used for cooking and drinking as well.
Reduces Water Contamination: captured rainwater fails to cause immediate overflow. Limiting overflows helps decrease surface water pollution by fertilizers, pesticides, and sediments in rainfall runoff.
Meets daily household needs:
In water-deprived areas, rainwater can be a great free resource for domestic use. A sound filtration system can take away contaminants and make rainwater ready for laundry, car washing, toilet flushing, and more.
What are the environmental gains of rainwater harvesting?
- A rainwater collection system can reduce stormwater runoff from a property.
- Rainwater collection systems can be used as simple and effective methods to meet individual properties’ stormwater management program requirements.
- Rainwater usually contains nitrogen which contributes a slight fertilizing effect for plants. It is a great water source for plants and landscape irrigation. There are no chemicals present such as fluoride and chlorine.
What are the economic advantages of rainwater harvesting?
- Collecting and using rainwater to replace local water use reduces your water bill.
- The widespread implementation of rainwater harvesting within the city area can overcome a city’s long-term water development needs. Rainwater harvesting allows a city like Santa Fe to use its current water infrastructure investments more efficiently. The cost to the community or city to supply treated and purified water is becoming more expensive every year. The cost of constructing and building dams, pipes, and treatment plants and maintenance and infrastructure replacement adds up.
- The practice of rainwater harvesting can diminish water demand and thus provide potable water service at a lower price.
- Installing rainwater collection systems can provide sustainable jobs for the economy of the future. The rainwater harvesting industry can grow into a leading employer in the green infrastructure movement.
- Rainwater stored onsite can be ready to use for wildfires and help protect the house and property.
Water is not only a life-giving resource. It is also an economic powerhouse for cities. Consequently, water conservation will be a key if we are trying to keep Santa Fe beautiful for future generations.
How can we help?
In New Mexico’s arid climate, capturing and utilizing rainfall needs to be a way of life. The Firebird can help you with various barrels and tanks, in numerous sizes and styles, for capturing rainwater. Click here to see some of our barrels.
An adequately installed rainwater harvesting system by The Firebird can help you reap the rewards for many years with reliable, safe, and quality water. Our solutions also protect your home from water damage.
At The Firebird, we want to help our customers thrive with the elements. Is there any better way to do this than sustainably harvesting our most precious resource? We believe in delivering long-term value and are happy to offer you service before and after the purchase of your rain harvesting system. Let us help you design the best rainwater harvesting system for your home.
Visit our showroom at 1808 Espinacitas St Santa Fe, New Mexico, or call us on 505.983.5264.
You can also drop us a line with your request, and a water harvesting specialist will be in touch!